Preserving Provolone Valpadana P.D.O. cheese
Preserving Provolone Valpadana P.D.O. cheese: some tips to keep the taste at its best
Like any self-respecting cheese, Provolone Valpadana also needs attention. As a “live” food, it undergoes transformations over time, so don’t think that simply keeping it in the fridge is enough!
Thanks to a few simple rules for the conservation of the cheese, it will be possible not to make more waste and preserve our cut for as long as possible. In this way its taste, aroma and above all its freshness remain intact even after days.
What to do and what not to do to preserve Provolone Valpadana P.D.O.
Keep him away from his enemies
Before knowing how to preserve Provolone Valpadana cheese, it is also important to know what conditions are unfavourable to its conservation:
- Too dry atmosphere: without the right humidity the Provolone Valpadana will become drier and will lose its freshness;
- Lack of air: when you notice that the slice of cheese is very humid, almost “sweaty”, it is because it is not getting the right amount of air. This increases the possibility that it will lose its aroma;
- Too hot or too cold temperatures: if exposed to too cold a temperature, the organoleptic properties of Provolone Valpadana become blocked. While at an excessively hot temperature, it is more probable that it will deteriorate earlier.
Take care of it
Basically, your refrigerator should have a temperature between 5 and 10°C, humidity and ventilation. To conserve your Provolone Valpadana impeccably, don’t forget to:
- Always cover the cut part of the Provolone Valpadana with plastic film or aluminium foil;
- wrap it in paper or a cloth to protect it from the light and put it in a plastic bag, where some holes will have been made;
- avoid direct contact with different cheeses;
- take it out of the fridge one hour before serving.